These five improvements are sure to net you a big return.
When it comes to increasing the value of your home, it’s important to focus on improvements that will give you the biggest return on investment. Here are five home improvements guaranteed to increase your home’s value and give you the biggest bang for your buck.
1. Flooring and paint. Flooring and paint are two of the most important elements in any home. A fresh coat of paint and new flooring can completely transform a space, making it look brighter, cleaner, and more modern. If you’re on a tight budget, painting your home should be the first thing you consider when looking for a cost-effective way to make your home look and feel more attractive to potential buyers. Hardwood flooring is a popular choice and can increase the value of your home as well. If you’re looking for a more affordable option, consider laminate flooring or luxury vinyl plank, which can give the appearance of hardwood without the high price tag.
“It’s important to focus on improvements that will give you the biggest return on investment.”
2. Fixtures. Here we’re talking about light fixtures and plumbing fixtures. Upgrading light and plumbing fixtures can instantly modernize a home and make it look more functional. Outdated fixtures can make a home look old and tired, so investing in these new fixtures is a simple way to add value when selecting fixtures. Choose energy-efficient light and plumbing fixtures that will save you money in the long run. Installing a low-flow toilet or tankless water heater, for example, can reduce your water bill and be an attractive selling point for potential buyers.
3. Hardware. We’re talking about doorknobs, hinges, and cabinet drawer pulls. Small details like this can make a huge impact on home value. Upgrading doorknobs, hinges, and cabinet pulls can instantly modernize your home and give it a fresh, clean look. The popular finishes now are brushed nickel, oiled bronze, and matte black, so those can add a touch of elegance to any room.
4. Curb appeal. Here we’re talking about exterior paint, your front door, your garage door, and landscaping. Now, first impressions are important, and the exterior of your home is the first thing guests, or any potential buyers will see. Improving your home’s curb appeal can add value and make your home more attractive to potential buyers. Painting the exterior of your home, updating your front door and garage door, and landscaping your yard are all effective ways to boost curb appeal. A well-manicured lawn, flowers and shrubs, and a welcoming front door can make a huge difference in how your home is perceived.
5. Bathroom and kitchen remodel. Remodeling your bathroom or kitchen can be a bigger investment, but it can also add significant value to your home. Updating cabinets, countertops, and appliances in your kitchen or adding a new bathtub, shower, or vanity in your bathroom can make a huge impact on your home’s overall value. When remodeling, it’s important to focus on high-quality materials and finishes that will stand the test of time and are also on trend. One thing we frequently see is a homeowner who goes out and remodels the kitchen and bathroom and makes finish or tile selections based on the products that were on sale rather than what was on trend. Sometimes the difference in cost between these materials is not that much. We want to make sure that you select finishes that will be stylish over time.
If you’re considering doing updates, the right updates can both increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers. Prioritizing these updates we’ve talked about can be the best place to start. If you’re looking to make an investment in your home that pays off in the long run, if you have additional questions about renovating or remodeling, or even need a referral to a quality contractor that can help you transform your home, request our free home renovation guide or reach out to us. We would be happy to help you with all of your real estate needs.